Snow Emergency Conditions
Snow emergency conditions are considered in effect within the Town of Riverdale Park whenever a snow emergency is declared in Prince George's County by the Prince George's County Executive, the Maryland State Highway Administration or the Maryland State Police.
Laws that apply:
- During any period in which a snow emergency condition exists and a snow emergency is in effect, it shall be unlawful to park any vehicle on any part of any street designated as a snow emergency street, provided that signs have been erected on that street giving notice that such street is a designated snow emergency street.
- During any period in which a snow emergency condition is in effect, it shall be unlawful to park any vehicle on the odd-numbered side of any public street in the Town regardless of whether such street has been designated a snow emergency street. Streets with parking restricted on one side are exempt.
- Any vehicle parked in violation of the snow emergency provisions of the section may be removed and impounded by or under the direction of any duly-authorized police officer. The owner of said vehicle, in addition to any towing or impound fee, shall be liable for a fine of $250.
What Residents Can Do:
- Whenever possible, move parked cars off the street so that snowplows can remove the snow from the street from curb to curb.
- If off-street parking is not available, park on the even side of the street (violators will be subject to having their vehicles impounded and fined $250 – 64-10(b)(c)).
- Be patient during any snow emergency as crews work around the clock to clear the streets.
- Clear sidewalks in front of residence and refrain from depositing snow back on to the roadway (this can potentially cause an accident).