Speed Camera Program for the Town of Riverdale Park
The Riverdale Park Police Department is working to modify and improve driving habits in Riverdale Park to ensure compliance with existing speed limits. Educating the public about speed enforcement is vital to any successful traffic safety program. Speed cameras are one of the measures being used by the Riverdale Park Police Department to improve motor vehicle and pedestrian safety.
Use of Speed Cameras in Riverdale Park:
In school zones Monday – Friday 6a.m. – 8 p.m. (Regardless of when school is in session)
Locations of cameras:
- East West Highway and Taylor Road (Eastbound)
- East West Highway and Taylor Road (Westbound)
- 5700 Blk Taylor Road
- Riverdale Road in front of Riverdale Elementary School
- Good Luck Road at Silk Tree Drive
- Rivertech Court (Between Lafayette Avenue and River Road)
The Town of Riverdale Park Speed Enforcement Safety Program is operated by the Riverdale Park Police Department. It is a safety program focused on changing and improving driver behavior in school zones through an inclusive effort involving education, engineering and enforcement.
The Riverdale Park Speed Enforcement Safety Program uses automated speed enforcement to enhance the safety of motorists and children in the school zones within the incorporated limits of the Town of Riverdale Park.
The guiding principles are to:
- Clearly identify and communicate speed related safety issues to the public.
- Make speed enforcement sites visible to road users through signage and media outlets.
- Deploy automated speed enforcement in school zones where they are needed.
- Promote a fair program by deploying automated speed enforcement only after careful consideration and studies.
- Ascertain the effectiveness of the speed safety program through continuous evaluations.
How the Program Works:
Portable automated speed enforcement systems are located in the selected school zones that must be within the incorporated limits of the Town of Riverdale Park, Maryland with speed limits of less than 45 miles per hour. The portable speed enforcement system may be moved to different locations within designated school zones as the need arises.
The speed enforcement systems are comprised of a speed measurement device, camera and a computer. Speed measuring devices identify motorists that travel 12 MPH or more over the posted speed limit.
The cameras capture the license plate images of violations and the onboard computer records all of the data associated with the violation. When the violation occurs, the automated speed equipment will record the date, the time and the speed of the vehicle.
The citation which includes images of the violator's vehicle citing the above information is then mailed to the registered owner of the vehicle. Once the violator receives the citation, payment or request to stand trial can be mailed to the Town of Riverdale Park Police Department at P.O. Box 17471 Baltimore, MD 21297-1471. To pay online, please use the link below. Make sure to have your Citation Number and Pin Number. Your pin number is the password printed on the citation. Payments are not accepted at the Riverdale Park Police Department. Questions about a citation may be addressed at the Optotraffic Call Center at 1(866) 979-4824.
Online Citation Payment
Back to top